Friday, June 21, 2013

Too many letters in my guide (and in my spelling of Fairmont Royal York Hotel)

It's Fairmont, not Fairmount Royal York Hotel!

You remember this story about the emperor who, after a Mozart performance, told him that it was great, apart from the fact that there were too many notes? (See the clip of this scene here.) 

Well, apparently, there are too many letters in my two new guides Toronto Urban Strolls! And I found out in a funny (though a bit mortifying) way.

My mistake
In my last post about the making of a walking guide, I was waiting for the two guides from the printer and wondering which mistake I would find! (There's always something, regardless of how many times a book is proofread.)


I found out when I went to drop the books the Fairmont Store at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel had ordered. 

As I was showing Stella, the enthusiastic manager (so enthusiastic actually that I thought she was the owner), the map for the PATH Underground Stroll in which the hotel is mentioned, I saw that I had spelt the hotel's name Fairmount, not Fairmont! 

This is what happens when you try to write a book and cook meals for your kids!


Mea Culpa, and free card offer!
I had to tell her on the spot, totally aware that Fairmont's marketing people could be very sensitive about things like this! And I was right, this would normally be a deal breaker. (To my defence, I noticed that Tripadvisor and reservationcounter.com also post links with the wrong spelling, which tells me I'm not the only one misspelling that name.)


The Fairmont Store manager had such a good opinion of Toronto Urban Strolls that she decided to carry it anyway. (And the first 12 copies she bought sold like cupcakes!)

To thank her, I'm giving a $6 card (from a collection of cards featuring photos from the guides) to anyone who will mention this blog to her or her assistant Nicole when buying a copy of Toronto Urban Strolls 1 or 2 at her store.


This is not your average hotel gift store. In addition to a few quality souvenirs, they carry a wide collection of clothes and accessories, along with luxury bed sheets.

While you're there
Note that the hotel is just a couple of blocks west of Brookfield Place with its elegant arches and Le Marché restaurant featuring an interesting concept of food stations.


(To my defence! As seen on Internet when Googling "Fairmount" Royal York!)






No comments:

Post a Comment